Why is the air conditioner not cooling the air?
Almost all residential and office premises are equipped with air conditioning systems. They are mainly used to cool the air on hot summer days.
The rest of the time, the equipment is idle. Unfortunately, it is common for an extended period of inactivity to lead to all sorts of malfunctions, including a reduced ability to cool the air (the ac blows heat instead).
However, idle time is one of many reasons for reducing the air conditioner's cooling capacity.
Eliminate external factors
If the air conditioner operates almost continuously, but the temperature does not drop to the set point, first of all, check if external factors hinder the operation of the unit:
- The room is poorly insulated - warm air constantly enters from the street, and cooled air goes outside,
- Average air circulation is obstructed by furniture or curtains (blinds),
- The device's power needs to meet the needs (not enough to cool a large area effectively).
If the reason is poor insulation, ensure that air is taken exclusively from the room and prevent its leakage to the outside (as far as possible): close windows and doors more tightly. In rooms with repair defects, there may be significant gaps that should repair. Remove airflow obstructions.
If there is insufficient power, replace the ac and use this one in a smaller room.
The main malfunctions causing the problem with the cooling.
- The problem with cooling is accompanied by leakage and freezing of the indoor unit of the split system (the unit installed from the side of the room). Most likely, the reason lies in the clogging of the cleaning filters: if dirt accumulates in them, it also settles on other elements of the device (on the heat exchanger plates, on the evaporator, fan), which ultimately leads to a deterioration in the heat transfer of the radiator and a decrease in cooling capacity. Solution: The filters must be removed and cleaned, and other elements of the indoor unit should be cleaned if dirt has accumulated on them. Filters are relatively easy to clean, but disassembling the indoor unit to clean it and put it back together is better left to professionals.
- The problem is accompanied by overheating and shutdown of the compressor (device in the outdoor unit of the split system). The cause of malfunctions is the contamination of the radiator. The dirt makes the fan's rotation difficult, causing the compressor to overheat and reducing the cooling efficiency. Solution: cleaning the outdoor unit. If the ac installs on one of the upper floors of a high-rise building, you can only do it with the services of industrial climbers.
- The intensity of the airflow from the ac has not decreased, but the device slightly cools the air. The problem is the need for more freon (a kind of refrigerant - a working substance without which the temperature change is impossible). Lack of substance can be caused by leakage or evaporation (within a year, 7% of the refrigerant evaporates from a fully sealed and properly operating unit). Solution: Refuelling the ac with freon will allow compensation for the lack of a working substance.
- The compressor began to work in enhanced mode, but at some point, the electric motor overheated and turned off. The appliance still has strong air flow, but the air conditioner does not cool. If the device has a warning system, an error message appears Underpressure. All these consequences occur due to a sharp decrease in freon amount, i.e. refrigerant leaks. Solution: To fix the services of a mechanic are required. They will find the place of the leak, take measures, and then fill the ac with freon.
- The compressor also turns off due to overheating. The air conditioner blows without cooling. But the problem lies not in the pressure but in the breakdown of the fan in the outdoor unit. The fan may fail due to overheating of the motor (if dust has got on the motor). Solution: replace the fan, and its motor needs it.
- The air conditioner blows as usual, and the compressor in the outdoor unit constantly runs without turning off, but the air in the room is not cooled. The freezing of elements in the indoor unit of the split system accompanies the problem. Such consequences occur due to clogging of the capillary tube, designed to equalize the pressure in the event of a compressor shutdown. Clogging leads to a deterioration in the circulation of the working substance, to the appearance of ice on the evaporator, the tube coming from it and other components of the outdoor unit. Under such conditions, effective air cooling is impossible, even if the ac is continuously operating. Solution: blockage can be removed with a hydraulic press. Sometimes, if the blockage is severe, use proven solvents (do not use those that can damage the engine). Sometimes the capillary tube is replaced with a new one (but only in extreme cases, since the native one more effectively fulfils its role).
- Hot air comes out of the air conditioner during cooling mode. A four-way valve is responsible for changing modes. If it is faulty, the mechanic will repair or replace the valve with a new one.
- The split system blows out warm air instead of cold air. There are three reasons for this: The connections between the indoor and outdoor units are damaged, and freon circulation is disrupted. As a result, the ac acts as a regular fan - it is necessary to restore the power supply, eliminate wiring problems. The control board is faulty due to burned-out elements - you need to check which elements are burned out (power relay, microcircuits, microprocessor) and either fix the problem by cleaning the contacts or replace the control module. Failure of the inverter module in the outdoor unit, due to which the current to the compressor stops flowing - the module needs to be replaced.
- Warm air comes from the ac, and room temperature is maintained. And the compressor is not working. There can be three reasons: short circuit in the compressor winding - you will have to replace the compressor with a new one or even the entire outdoor unit. The capacitor of the external unit has broken - the component is dismantled and replaced with a new one. The compressor relay is faulty, which protects the electric motor from overheating - replacing the relay needs it.
- The air conditioner shutdown accompanies the problem (it turns on and immediately turns off). One of two failures leads to such consequences: Breakdown of the sensor in the indoor unit that monitors the temperature in the room (thermistor) - the ac is turned off because the thermistor sends an incorrect signal to the control unit (replacement with a working sensor is required). Failure of the sensor that monitors the temperature of the components responsible for the pressure in the system must also replace the sensor.
How to solve the problem?
Eliminating most of the indicated problems can only be done by a qualified mechanic with all the tools for diagnosing refrigeration equipment in their arsenal. However, given the high cost of a special tool, the high probability of error and the danger of some operations, calling a specialist is more appropriate than trying to solve the problem alone.
Chennai Service Center is a team of experienced, qualified specialists. Our mechanics work quickly and accurately to identify the problem and find the most rational solution. To ensure this, the company also guarantees the repaired equipment.