In normal conditions, air conditioners have a uniform operating noise. In some (budget) models, the sound intensity is higher. In higher-quality ones, the noise is barely noticeable to others since they quickly get used to such a noise curtain and stop hearing.
Unusual sounds are always signs of a breakdown or some malfunction. They can appear in equipment operating for several years or completely new ones. In the first case, if you call the master, he will immediately ask how often carried out maintenance since regular preventive measures allow you to avoid all kinds of breakdowns and prevent critical errors. In the second case, the master will immediately determine the noise source.
We distinguish natural operating noise from signs of breakdown.
Is there noise in the air conditioner? First, you need to determine whether such a sound is characteristic of your equipment or is it a sign of a breakdown.
If the technique has been working for you for several years, you will immediately notice the appearance of new sounds. And if you purchased an inexpensive model, installed it, turned it on and found a strange noise? Either the model does not differ in build quality and materials, or it already has some malfunction. First, find out from the instructions what noise level is natural for your ac model. Then, compare, according to the sensations, how the indicated figures correspond to the noise emitted.
If the noise is uniform and not too loud, it only changes when the mode is switched (from cooling to heating and vice versa), and everything is in order. If not, call the masters who carried out the installation. And remember: the warranty on the new ac is still valid.
Sometimes extraneous sounds block the working noise. There is a danger that a problem not noticed in time will lead to an aggravation of the situation, and it will become more difficult to fix problems over time. Therefore, it is important to perform scheduled maintenance to ensure the equipment works properly.
What breakdowns indicate extraneous sounds?
The exact cause of the appearance of a new noise will be determined only by an experienced master after diagnosing the system. But some signs will help you understand how expensive the upcoming repairs will be. Establish more precisely. It is necessary to consider the model's features and quality level and evaluate the sound's nature and where it comes from.
- If extraneous noise appeared after a scheduled diagnosis or repair, the master did something wrong. Please do not believe that he is trying to convince you that the noise will pass with time and demand that the source of the eliminate noise.
- A low hum is heard from the switched-off ac - the matter is in the transformer, and over time, it wears out and starts to buzz. You can repair (replace the damaged winding) or replace it with a new transformer. But if it's not about "old age", it's worth checking the fastenings - perhaps the transformer is poorly fixed inside the unit.
- Gurgling sounds indicate a lack of freon (working substance, refrigerant) - either it evaporated over time, the last refuelling was insufficient, or there is a leak. It is necessary to identify the exact cause, but only a master can do this.
Sounds from the indoor unit
- The air conditioner in the off-state makes a crackling sound coming from the indoor unit. Most likely, the transformer flew. In the case of budget models of air conditioners, the only way out is to replace the failed low-quality part completely.
- Bubbling sounds come from the indoor unit of the ac. If the weather is calm, the gurgling is caused by a dirty drainage system. You should clean it. If the ac is noisy due to the wind, check the valve (should set it in the off position). To prevent wind noise from bothering you, you can fix a mesh on the drain tube (it will serve as an additional filter) but must clean it periodically.
- A crackling or clicking sound from the indoor unit indicates a problem with the fan. Sometimes it is enough to replace the bearing. Or clean it: a foreign object just got in. Also, cracking can be emitted by a fan blade. If a crack appears on it, repair or replacement of the fan is required.
- Rustle or hiss from the indoor unit may indicate loose plastic (loose fasteners) - tighten all the bolts in the unit more tightly. If the sound does not disappear, it may be the fan motor (it stopped working evenly). You will have to replace it.
Noises in the outdoor unit
- The reason for the appearance of new sounds in the outdoor unit may be dirt - in this case, it is necessary to clean the entire unit.
- The edges of cracked fan blades can emit extraneous sound. Cracks appear over time or due to mechanical damage. Either way, the fan needs to be replaced.
- A low crackle that merges with the operating noise appears due to problems with the fan bearing - must replace it.
- If the noise is accompanied by the formation of ice on the radiator of the outdoor unit in heating mode, must clean the ac.
- There is a hum from the outdoor unit in heating mode but no extraneous sound in cooling mode. Noise is caused by the difference between the temperatures outside and inside the building. It is necessary either to insulate the external unit of the split system or to install a winter kit that warms up the blog in the harsh season.
- A hum in the outdoor unit may mean that the rubber gaskets under the bolts, which dampen the vibration of the split system, have become unusable. Over time, they crumble or harden. Vibration freely excites the entire system, loosening the fasteners and causing a hum. So you need to install new gaskets.
First steps when troubleshooting
Experts do not recommend doing repairs on their own. There is a high risk of making a mistake if you do not deal with a refrigeration device every day. Complex equipment is not even recommended to be filled with freon on its own and to clean the blocks.
It is enough to be vigilant in time and contact a specialist. Give the technician as much information as possible to quickly identify and fix the problem.
Since extraneous sounds always indicate a malfunction, the master will have to perform diagnostics and act depending on the identified problem:
- Clean the block filters,
- Flush the drainage system,
- evacuate pipes,
- Top up the air conditioner with freon,
- Lubricate the parts,
- Repair or replace defective components.
A good LG ac service center will take all the necessary measures, and your ac will last longer.