Why does the air conditioner freeze
When the air conditioning equipment is working properly, the elements of the indoor unit has not covered with ice. But, if the air conditioner suddenly begins to blow out snow dust, frost appears from it or water flows out, or a strange crack may also appear - it means that a breakdown has occurred that requires urgent repair.
Look under cover of the indoor unit, and you will see all the elements covered with a crust of ice - the evaporator, condenser, valve, and pipeline. Immediately turn off the air conditioner, disconnect from the power supply and call the wizard. If this is not done, the further operation will lead to complete failure.
What could lead to such "deplorable" consequences?
How to prevent frostbite
Do not make common mistakes when operating the air conditioner:
- Observe the temperature regime recommended by the manufacturer for the operation of a particular model,
- Do not turn on the air conditioner at high cooling if the room has high humidity (this will lead to the formation of excessive condensate to the appearance of an ice crust on the evaporator).
It is the violation of these prohibitions that leads to the formation of ice inside the air conditioner. That is the most common reason. Therefore, experts are okay with repeating: use the equipment following the instructions, and study it carefully as soon as you install a new air conditioner.
What malfunctions of the air conditioner cause freezing
Additional signs can judge the reasons:
- Ice falls out of the air conditioner. The device began to cool poorly, and I heard crackling. Sometimes these problems are also accompanied by the appearance of water from the indoor unit. All this indicates clogging of such important components of the split system as a fan, evaporator and filters. Dirt accumulates on them over time. It is necessary to order a comprehensive cleaning of the indoor unit from a specialized company. And if the condenser and fan in the outdoor unit are clogged (often clogged with poplar fluff and street dust), the outdoor unit needs to be cleaned. Cleaning has been carried out with a powerful jet of water under pressure.
- If ice flies out of the indoor unit or water runs, and the compressor in the outdoor unit works without stopping, but the air conditioner does not cool the air, then the split system has been depressurized. A model equipped with an alert system will report an error: low pressure. What needs to be done? Since the compressor gains the temperature, working for wear, it is necessary to stop the air conditioner's operation and call the wizard. He will eliminate the leak (most often found at the junction of the pipes) and then replace the filter drier, evacuate the system and refuel the air conditioner. After these steps, the pressure inside the system will return to normal. If there were no leaks, the refrigerant (working substance) evaporated; naturally filled the air conditioner.
- Water drips from the air conditioner (ice formed on the evaporator melts). And although the motor runs without shutdowns, the air conditioner does not cool the room well. A blockage has likely formed in the capillary system (pipelines), leading to a pressure drop. As a result of the drops, part of the refrigerant boiled and gave up the cold earlier. Ultimately, all this led to a sharp decrease in the cooling capacity of the device. How to act in such circumstances? Call the master. With partial blockage, he will purge the system with nitrogen. With a strong blockage, he will apply hydraulic cleaning and possibly solvents. In extreme cases, capillary pipeline replacement has required if cleaning does not help remove the blockage.
Suppose we are talking about inverter equipment (they do not have capillary tubes; they replace them with a thermostatic expansion valve - TRV). In that case, the reason for ice formation on the evaporator is different. The pressure in the system does not correspond to the norm because the expansion valve has failed or its settings have gone wrong. Therefore, the valve needs to be adjusted or replaced.